Secretary for Sections:
First let me thank you for the trust you have put in me. I am humbled and deeply honored to serve you as WPA Secretary of Sections for the next 6 years.
I pledge to work together with our President, my colleagues on the Executive Committee, and all of you to further develop the Sections as the scientific backbone of WPA by supporting creative research agendas, by strengthening the power that comes out of diversity, and by building bridges across potential gaps that actually should not exist. Specifically, I would like to focus on the following issues, including both logistical and conceptual aspects:
1. Develop tools for improving and streamlining communication between the Sections.
2. Initiate a brainstorming platform to identify urgent research topics to be taken on in an intersectional and cross-regional approach.
3. Establish cross-country peer networks of researchers to facilitate and share access to knowledge, resources, and strategies to publish successfully, and promote the exchange of (early career) investigators.
4. Continue and expand the intersectional activities of WPA.
5. Leverage the Sections’ experiences and resources to further WPA’s activities for early career psychiatrists by strengthening ties with trainee organizations.
6. Establish truly authentic and compassionate relationships with organizations representing patients, their families and caregivers.
I am looking forward to your ideas, suggestions, critique, and help towards fulfilling our goal of improving the lives of millions of people all over the world.
Thomas G. Schulze