|Address: Research Center in Spirituality and Health (NUPES) School of Medicine
Federal University of Juiz de Fora (UFJF) Av Eugenio do Nascimento s/n - Dom Bosco
36038-330 Juiz de Fora - MG
Phone: +55 32 2102 3848/55 32 9123 4564
|Address: Institute of Psychiatry Ain Shams University 21, Ismail Ramzy Street, Heliopolis Cairo Egypt
Phone: +202 26422659
Fax: +202 24515739
Bernard Janse van Rensburg
|Address: Division of Psychiatry, Faculty of Sciences University of the Witwatersrand 7 York Road, Parktown Johannesburg 2193 South Africa
Phone: +27 11 340 9000/9038
Fax: +27 11 782 0270
The WPA Section on Religion, Spirituality and Psychiatry is preparing a Training Course for psychiatric Residents on Religion, Spirituality and Mental Health in clinical practice across cultures. The program is organized into several modules.
Module 1: Overview of fundamental aspects of Religion, Spirituality in psychiatric practice
Module 2: Addressing Religious and Spirituality issues in patient interview
Module 3: Integrating Religious and Spirituality issues in different types of psychotherapy
Module 4: Different practices across cultures
Each module contains: pre and post test, slides, lecture notes for trainers, handouts for participants and reference list to be held by the Section Committee: Peter Verhagen, Prof. Nahla Nagy, Prof. John Cox, Prof. Simon Dien, and Prof. Alexander Moreira-Almeida.
The Section participated in the WPA International Congress 2013 held in Vienna with the first workshop for training psychiatric residents in the field of religion, spirituality and mental health carried out by Prof. Nahla Nagy and at the XXXI Brazilian Congress of Psychiatry, Curitiba, Brazil in a 2-hr sympo- sium “Research in mental health, spirituality and religiosity: methodological challenges”. The Section also submitted several contributions for the 3-7 May 2014 APA Annual Meeting, New York, and the 14-18 September 2014 16th World Congress of Psychiatry, Madrid in collaboration with other Sections as well.
The Newsletter of the Section on Religion, Spirituality and Psychiatry Vol. 2 Issue 2 August 2013 could be read via http://www.religionandpsychiatry.com/ .
Action Plan for 2014-2017
1. Expand Section’s international profile
(1) Contact all national psychiatric associations, informing about the Section and asking contact of potentially interested psychiatrists
(2) Collaboration with Religion and Spirituality (R/S) sections of national psychiatric associations (e.g. USA, UK, Brazil, South Africa)
2. Improve Section’s website
3. Improve the content and circulation of the newsletter Psyche and Spirit
4. Fostering transcultural research on spirituality and mental health
(1) Disseminate information about research methods and R/S scales in several languages
(2) Network of researchers from different countries
5. Organizing conferences, symposia and workshops (including joint activities with other WPA’s Sections) in national and international psychiatric conferences, especially at
(1) Global meeting in Spirituality and Mental Health (Florianópolis, Brazil 47 Nov 2015)
(2) WPA International Congress (Cape Town, South Africa 1822 Nov 2016)
(3) 17th WPA World Congress of Psychiatry (Berlin, Germany 812 Oct 2017)
6. Development of a WPA position statement on R/S
7. Publication of papers on R/S and mental health
8. Preparation of guidelines for
(1) Clinical implications of spirituality
(2) Including R/S in medical schools and psychiatry residences
Inquiries and other correspondence are welcomed and can be forwarded to the Secretary Bernard Janse van Rensbsurg, at: firstname.lastname@example.org.