The projects had to deal with one of the following issues highlighted in the WPA Action Plan 2008-2011:
- Depression in persons with physical diseases.
- Stigmatization of psychiatry and psychiatrists.
- Integration of mental health care into primary care.
- Protection and promotion of physical health in persons with severe mental disorders.
- Assessment and development of talents and strengths of persons with mental disorders.
The deadline for submission was June 30, 2009.
Fourteen submissions were received. They were evaluated by a committee including M. Maj, S. Kasper, L. Kuey and N. Shinfuku.
The two projects receiving the highest score were the following:
- “Stigmatization of psychiatry and psychiatrists. An international control-group study”, submitted by the Sections on Schizophrenia, Stigma and Mental Illness, and Forensic Psychiatry;
- “A cross-national multi-center study of depression, demoralization and functional impairment in cancer patients”, submitted by the Section on Transcultural Psychiatry.
These projects are now ongoing, funded by the WPA.