Having taken over as the President of the World Psychiatric Association I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the confidence that you have shown in me. I would like to send you my greetings and also the Action Plan that was approved by the General assembly in Madrid on September 16th 2014. I appreciate all the hard work you and your organisations are doing in looking after the interests of the most vulnerable members of our societies and we should be proud of doing our best under very difficult economic and social circumstances. This is a clear reflection of your hard work, commitment and contributions.
I am also listing hereunder action points that were agreed at the first informal meeting of the EC:
1. Establishing list servers for the Board and the EC separately and jointly
2. Update the web site urgently and develop social media presence
3. To review the workload and responsibilities of the Geneva office
4. To explore setting up a small group looking at the role and functions of the WPA
5. Increased involvement of Early Career Psychiatrists and medical students and here we will need help of the national organisations to support this venture.
6. Statement on Parity of esteem document to be developed following AOB in the General Assembly
7. To produce definitions of various documents-consensus statement, occasional paper, papers for debate etc so that these can be added to the Manual of Procedures and also to the web site
8. To develop and deliver on-line modules and by the Sections
9. Sections to develop and deliver materials on mental health promotion
10. To look at fund raising and bank changes
I would appreciate if you can send us details of any policy documents; any training and educational materials and research materials that you are conducting so that we can create a repository of information so that others can learn from your experiences.
I look forward to hearing from you in due course.
Dinesh Bhugra CBE MA.MSc,MBBS,FRCP,FRCPE,FRCPsych,FFPH,MPhil,PhD
World Psychiatric Association