The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP)
Str. Shamil Azizbekov 95, Apt 43, 370009, Baku, Azerbaijan
Phone: (99412) 955982, (99412) 958078, Fax (99412) 958537, 958078
Azerbaijan Psychiatric Association was founded initially as the Azerbaijan Society of Psychiatrists and Neurologists in 1922. Since 1994 it was divided into the Azerbaijan Psychiatric Association and the Azerbaijan Society of Neurologists. In 1994 the Azerbaijan Psychiatric Association was officially recognized by the Ministry of Justice as a professional organization. In 1998 the filial branches of AzPA were established in several administrative districts of the country.
The mission of AzPA is joining up the professionals' efforts to improve the quality of psychiatric care and to promote further development of scientific knowledge, professional skills and proper attitude in mental health.
The main objectives of AzPA are the followings:
- Promotion to mental health in Azerbaijan
- Rights' protection of psychiatric patients, their families, and mental health professionals
- Implementation of the highest ethical and professional standards in psychiatric care
- Development of professional and public education in mental health
- Implementation of evidence-based science and practice in the field of psychiatry
- Improvement of mental health policy and services
- International cooperation
The supreme body of the AzPA is the General Assembly held every five years within the National Congress of Psychiatry.
The General Assembly elects the Council governing the activity of AzPA during a period of five years.
The Council of AzPA has three committees (Ethical Committee, Audit and Inspection Committee, and Executive Committee)
The Executive Committee is presented by :
- President Prof. Nadir Ismayilov
- Vice-President Prof. Agabek Sultanov
- Executive Secretary Dr. Ibrahimli Irada
- Treasurer Dr. Sevda Katibli
- Secretary for Meetings Dr. Alipasha Zeynalov
- Secretary for Education Dr. Araz Manuchery-Lalei
- Secretary for International Relations Dr. Fuad Ismayilov
- Secretary for Projects Dr. Fidan Mammadova
Five scientific sections include Section of General Psychiatry, Section of Addiction Psychiatry, Section of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Section of Psychotherapy and Clinical Psychology, Section of Social and Forensic Psychiatry.
- Systematic monitoring of the current mental health situation in the country and preparing analytical reviews on a variety of issues that influence the overall mental health status of the population
- Development of mental health strategy, programmes, and legislation
- Providing expert recommendations for governing bodies, health authorities and policy-makers to improve current mental health management and services.
- Development of the training programs on various aspects of mental health and implementation of modern standards in professional education
- Participation in the national and international mental health projects, researches and meetings
- Holding scientific conferences and national congresses
- Carrying out the activities related to awareness and advocacy in mental health
- Publications and TV and press appearance
- Cooperation with local and international mental health organizations and promotion in formation of kindred organizations of psychotherapists, young psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, self-help groups of psychiatric patients and their relatives, etc