"Mental Health in Jamaica: The Way Forward" was the theme of this year's Jamaica Psychiatric Association's Annual Conference organized by the Department of Community Health and Psychiatry (Section of Psychiatry), UWI, Mona. The Conference was held on Sunday, August 14, 2011 at the UWI, Mona.
The main lecture which is entitled "Personality Disorder and Conflict in Jamaica" was delivered by Professor Emeritus Frederick Hickling. The conference also had presentations by other noted professionals:
- Mental Health at the Kingston Public Hospital (a General Hospital) by Dr. Charles Thesiger, Consultant Psychiatrist
- The Integration of Mental Health and Primary Health Care by Dr. Wendel Abel, Head, Section of Psychiatry, University of the West Indies(UWI)
- Non-Anxious and Anxious Depression by Dr. Clayton Sewell
- Policies and Protocols for Community Mental Health Services by Dr. Maureen Irons-Morgan, Director of Mental Health and Substance Abuse, Ministry of Health Jamaica
- Evidenced Based Practices in Treating Childhood Trauma by Dr. Ganesh Shetty, Child Psychiatrist
- The Mental Hospital Role and function by Dr. Yvonnie Bailey-Davidson, Consultant Psychiatrist, Bellevue Hospital
- The Scope of the Psychiatry of Old Age in Jamaica by Dr. Peter Grahame, Consultant Psychiatrist, National Health Service, United Kingdom
In addition an art exhibit and auction was held which, included the works of persons diagnosed with mental disorders among other persons.
The conference was open to all stakeholders and was well supported. It is planned to expand next year’s conference to include participants from our neighbouring Caribbean islands.
President, Jamaica Psychiatric Association