Report of the Section
Our Section is co-sponsoring the International Association for Women's Mental Health (IAWMH) in organizing the 5th World Congress on Women's Mental Health in Lima, Peru, on 4-7 March 2013. Prof. Anita Riecher-Rössler is the President of the IAWMH, and Prof. Marta Rondon, the Chairperson of Organizing Committee; both are members of the WPA Section on Women’s Mental Health. One of the special foci of this congress is on violence against women as a risk factor for mental ill-health.
Members of our Section have also made contributions to the book "Violence Against Women and Mental Health", edited by Claudia Garcia-Moreno, WHO, and Anita Riecher-Rössler, Basel.
Other notable activities of members are:
1) Dr Silvia Gravaria from Columbia has contributed chapters in five books in Portuguese and Spanish and presented at several congresses on Women’s Mental Health Issues:
- Gender Violence in Latin America, at the XXVII National Congress of Psychiatry of Guatemala. 2012
- XXVII Congress of APAL, Buenos Aires, 16-19 November 2012
- 59th Annual Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine Meeting, Atlanta, 16 November 2012
- International Symposium “Eating behavior disorders” in CES University
2) Prof. Donna Stewart has been awarded a Shastri Foundation Faculty Mobility Award to teach at the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuroscience in Bangalore, India on 18-31 January 2013.
3) Prof. Unaiza Niaz was awarded:
1. International Distinguish Fellowship of APA
2. Lifetime Achievement Award from the Pakistan Psychiatric Association, for excellence in Mental Health services of Pakistan.
She was the Keynote Speaker on Women’s Mental Health Issues at the Pan Arab Congress in Dubai, and the First International Social Psychiatry Conference in Egypt.
Chair Section on Women’s Mental Health