“Мodern approaches to diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of persons with mental and behavioral disorders”. The international conference under this title was held in late December in Minsk and was dedicated to the 90th anniversary of the Department of Psychiatry and Medical Psychology of Belarusian State Medical University (head-professor O.A.Skugarevsky). The meeting was organized in collaboration with Belarusian Psychiatric Association. WPA was represented by Prof. P.V.Morozov
The history of the Department of Psychiatry is directly related to the history of rendering of psychiatric aid in the Republic of Belarus. Originally, the chair was founded in 1925 as the part of the medical faculty of the Belorussian state university and was based in the 2nd State Hospital. The first Head of the chair – Prof. A. K. Lents – is the founder of the physiological school of the Belorussian psychiatry. From the beginning of its activities the chair became an organizational and scientific center of psychiatry in the Republic.
At present, the Сhair of Psychiatry and Medical Psychology has the strongest teaching staff in the Republic: 3 Doctors of Science, 6 Candidates of Science (Ph.D), docents, 6 Professor’s assistants. The chair educates at graduate and postgraduate levels, participates in the export of educational services and is the key organization of scientific researches expert support.
Conference was a great success, the halls were filled, discussions were lively.
Prof Peter Morozov
WPA Zone 10 Representative
Photo: Prof OA Skugarevsky and Prof Peter Morozov