We are most appreciative of the support and encouragement of our WPA President Mario Maj, M.D., Ph.D. and the Executive Committee in helping us with our educational, research, and clinical missions and projects. Below are some of the accomplishments from Zone 2.
The Zone 2 representative has been personally busy with a number of WPA-related projects
1. Dr. Riba is chair of the WPA Section on Psychiatry, Medicine and Primary Care and is organizing a symposium for the Buenos Aires WPA Congress in September 2011.
2. Dr. Riba is co-editing a book with the lead editor, Luigi Grassi, M.D., on behalf of the WPA Section on Psycho-Oncology and Palliative Care, for John Wiley and Sons, on Clinical Psycho-Oncology: An International Perspective. This book will represent work from clinicians and scientists from over 25 countries who will provide clinically useful information on a wide variety of topics in psycho-oncology, from diverse cultures. This book will represent the work of colleagues from the WPA Section on Psycho-Oncology and Palliative Care as well as the WPA Section on Psychiatry, Medicine and Primary Care. In addition, it will have the logo of the WPA and the Federation of Psycho-Oncology Societies.
3. Dr. Riba is the lead editor, with Melvyn Rubenfire, M.D., Professor of Cardiology, University of Michigan, Lawson Wulsin, M.D., Professor of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati, and Divy Ravindranath, M.D., M.S., Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, for a new text for John Wiley, entitled, Psychiatry and Cardiology. Each chapter has been written by a cardiology and a mental health professional. We are very excited about the process we used to write on this important topic and hope it will be helpful to a wide variety of primary care and specialty health professionals throughout the world.
4. Dr. Riba has worked with Luigi Grassi, M.D. and many colleagues from throughout the world in the publication of the WPA Educational Programme on Depression and Physical Illness. This has been printed in hard copy, on CDs and is now on the website for our WPA members to use. We are very pleased with this wonderful work-product and thank Norman Sartorius, M.D., Ph.D. and Allan Tasman, M.D., for giving us the opportunity to produce and deliver such a high quality and useful product.
5. In follow up to the WPA Education Programme on Depression and Physical Illness, Dr. Riba has been asked to speak on a number of topics related, such as Diabetes and Depression and Psych-Oncology, at the WPA Beijing Congress 2010.
6. After the Prague WPA Congress, in collaboration with Drs. Linda Gask and Dusica Lecic Tosevski, M.D., Ph.D. and with the support of Mario Maj, M.D., Ph.D., we were so honored and pleased to receive financial support for an educational project related to medical students and careers in psychiatry. We are working on this project and hope to have the results in the next year and to publish our work. We are very pleased to be able to participate in this inter-zonal project.
7. An important area of study is the recruitment of medical students into psychiatry. Levent Kuey, M.D., Secretary-General of the WPA chaired an important symposium at the WPA Congress in Beijing on Careers in Psychiatry: An International Perspective. It was a very interesting opportunity to share how our different medical schools and countries approach this area. We had representatives from Turkey, Serbia, China and the United States present, and had a very excellent discussion.
8. Publishing is an important focus for the WPA. Thanks to the leadership of Helen Herrman, M.D., Dr. Riba was a discussant on a symposium with colleagues from Africa and Brazil, to talk about how to sustain and promote journals in order to improve the quality of mental health in diverse regions of the world. We have also submitted a symposium on this subject for the APA meeting in May 2011.
9. Dr. Riba serves on the International Advisory Editorial Board of Academic Psychiatry. She has recently co-edited a special edition of the journal, Academic Psychiatry, on Resident as Teacher, with Jonathan Polan, M.D., as the lead editor.
10. Dr. Riba serves on the editorial board of Asia-Pacific Psychiatry, a journal published with John Wiley. We had an editorial board meeting at the WPA Congress in Beijing, 2010.
11. Dr. Riba will be submitting symposia for presentation at the WPA meetings in Cairo, Armenia and Istanbul, on topics related to genetics in psychiatry; depression and comorbid medical conditions.
12. In November 2010, Dr. Riba is invited to participate in the 2010 Chilean Neurology, Psychiatry and Neurosurgery Society Meeting, with sincere appreciation to our zonal representatives from Chile and other parts of South America.
13. Dr. Nada Stotland, from Zone 2 , Melvyn McInniss, M.D., Neera Ghaziuddin, M.D., Mohammud Ghazziudin, M.D., Sofia Merajver, M.D., Ph.D., Tamara Gay, M.D., all members of zone 2, attended the WPA Congress in Beijing. Dr. Stotland is a former president of the American Psychiatric Association. Drs. McInniss, Ghazziudin, Ghazziudin, Merajver and Gay are all on the faculty of the University of Michigan.
WPA Zonal Representative for Zone 2 (United States of America)