This is the Report for the period 2009-2010 for the WPA Zone 12.
1. Mental Health Day in Lebanon organized by the Lebanese Psychiatric Society on geriatric psychiatry in Beirut, Lebanon, on 14 November 2009.
2. Cognitive and behavioral therapy symposium organized by the Lebanese Association of Cognitive and Behavioral Therapy entitled “Eating disorders and their treatment”, on 12-13 February 2010 and sponsored by the WPA in Beirut, Lebanon.
3. Congress of the Hospital of the Cross with the collaboration of the Lebanese Psychiatric Society and the Saint Joseph University entitled “Psychiatry between yesterday and today”, on 17 April 2010 and sponsored by the WPA in Beirut, Lebanon.
4. First international congress of the Jordanian Association of Psychiatrists “towards better mental health” on 6-9 April 2010, co-sponsored by the WPA in Amman, Jordan.
5. 6th international conference of psychiatry “new models of psychiatric management’’, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia on 13-15 April 2010, co-sponsored by the WPA.
6. Mental Health Day in Ain w Zein hospital “Child and Adolescent psychiatry” on 11 July 2009.
7. Congress of Dar al Aajaza el Islamya “Improving quality in elderly care” on 3 October 2009.
8. Journey of psychiatry in the faculty of medicine of Saint Joseph University “Mood Swings”, on 14-15 May 2010 in Beirut, Lebanon.
9. Mental Health Day in Ain w Zein hospital “from normal aging to disease: geriatric psychiatry” on 29 May 2010.
10. French and Syrian psychiatric meeting in Damascus, Syria on 31 October-1st November 2008.
a. Teaching program of psychiatry in Lebanon. Encephale December 2008
b. Teaching psychiatry for the 5th year medical students at USJ Beirut. Academic psychiatry, August 2009
c. Family risk factors modifying the course of the bipolar disorder. Journal de therapie comportementale et cognitive, December 2009
12. Arab board:
a. Validation of the hospitals accepted by the Arab board committee as training fields
b. Arab board: Part 1 and 2 exam organization
c. Arab board:
- Part 2 written, oral and clinical exams in October 2009
- Part 1 written exams in may 2010
13. University diploma
Cognitive and behavioral therapy University diploma training from the medical school of Saint Joseph University, taught by French therapists from Sainte Anne hospital.
14. Training of psychiatry residents
Continue training of the psychiatry residents with a four-year psychiatric program in collaboration with the faculties of medicine at Saint Joseph University and Lebanese University.
15. Workshop of psychiatry residents training, Damascus, Syria on 1-2 March 2009.
16. Primary health care for the GPs to help them to detect psychiatric illness with the collaboration of the Lebanese Psychiatric Society and the Lebanese Order of Physicians.
17. Mental health journal for the public “Assabil”, issued by the Hospital of the Cross every six months, with the objective to educate about and decrease stigma of mental disease in three languages (Arabic, French and English) with the following themes:
a. April 2009: Stress and adaptation modalities
b. November 2009: Eating disorders
c. April 2010: Psychiatry between yesterday and today
WPA Zonal Representative for Zone 12 (Central and Western Africa)